SPECIALIZING IN UNIQUE GIFTS FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

TIA "MINI STROKE" EXPERIENCE

This past weekend I experienced a TIA (transient ischemic attack) which resulted in a brief hospital stay.  Luckily, it was not severe and will serve as a "wake up" call for me to take better care of myself.  I have a background in biology and know the warning signs...., but I wasn't able to understand what was happening to me at the time.  Soooo, it is extremely important for people around you to know the warning signs and what action to take.

A TIA, or ministroke, is like a stroke, producing similar symptoms, but usually lasting only a few minutes and causing no permanent damage. Although mine lasted a little over 2 hours, I think it was induced by dehydration which lead to kidney malfunction creating a hypertension crisis.  My main symptoms were extreme lethargy, slurring of words, and slower movements like I was underwater. 
 
Here are the most common symptoms of TIA:
  • Sudden weakness, numbness or paralysis in your face, arm or leg, typically on one side of your body
  • Slurred or garbled speech or difficulty understanding others
  • Sudden blindness in one or both eyes or double vision
  • Dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

For more information, please click on the following link from the Mayo Clinic

No comments:

Post a Comment