SPECIALIZING IN UNIQUE GIFTS FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

SPRING CLEANING - PART 1 - HOW TO REORGANIZE YOUR KITCHEN PANTRY

It's that time of the year and I've gotten the urge to do some spring cleaning. The question is where do I start and what should I do first? I usually start off gung-ho and then get tired and let it fall to the wayside. This year I decided I would blog about the process, and hopefully; do a fantastic job and not waste alot of time and energy. I made a Spring Cleaning To-Do-List with the kitchen pantry as the first area to clean.


Everyone knows I like organization and my kitchen pantry was in chaos, so last night I took the time to reorganize it. I couldn't believe how many items were beyond their expiration dates! Here are a few tips on reorganizing a pantry with a video link shown below.

STEP 1 - REMOVAL OF ITEMS
You can do this shelf by shelf or if your pantry is totally out of control - remove everything. If you do the shelf by shelf method; work from top to bottom.

STEP 2 - CLEAN THE SHELVING



STEP 3 - ORGANIZE AND RESTOCK ITEMS
Check each item's expiration date and throw away what is no longer good or needed. Make a shopping list of items you need to restock. (If you no longer want an item that is still good, donate it to a food drive.)


STEP 4 - REPLACE ITEMS ON SHELVES IN CATEGORIES
As you return items to the pantry, take time to organize. This step will be different for everyone based on your personal preferences. I categorized my pantry into sections based on my goods.
On the top shelf I placed liquor and small appliances. On other shelves I have sections for boxed and dry goods, cooking oils, nonrefrigerated condiments, canned goods, baking goods, breakfast item, snacks, and an area for paper and plastic items. Interspersed I have metal roll out containers, baskets, small bins, or turn tables for various items. On the back of the pantry door I have a 3-shelf pantry spice rack. On the floor of the pantry, I placed the recycle bin, trash bin, large size kitchen appliances that are used infrequently, broom & dustpan, and a 2-step foldable ladder. I was surprised at how much room I had available once I reorganized everything!


Now it should be easier for everyone to find items in the pantry. I was so pleased with the outcome, I had my husband see what I accomplished. I think he was impressed! This morning he suggested I reorganize our bathroom closet.


Below is a video link that I found on the internet.
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4549207?FORM=VIRE4

No comments:

Post a Comment