With all the demands of after school activities and homework to be supervised, it becomes a challenge for moms to have a delicious hot meal for dinner. Check out Southern Living's 100 Best Comfort Food Classics for some inspiration. The following recipe is their chicken tetrazzini.
- 1 1/2 (8-oz.) packages vermicelli
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (6-oz.) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk and wine; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Whisk in bouillon granules, seasoned pepper, and 1 cup Parmesan cheese.3. Remove from heat; stir in diced cooked chicken, sliced mushrooms, and hot cooked pasta.4. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with slivered almonds and remaining 1 cup Parmesan cheese.5. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly.