Friday, April 22, 2011
PAULA DEEN'S GRANDMA HIER'S CARROT CAKE
Butter, for pans
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, optional
2 8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick salted butter, room temperature
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round pans; Line bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Add eggs and vegetable oil.
5. Using a hand mixer, blend until combined.
6. Add carrots and pecans, if using.
7. Pour into pans.
8. Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
10.Remove from pans, place on waxed paper and allow to cool completely before frosting.
1. Add all ingredients, except nuts, into a medium bowl and beat until fluffy using a hand mixer.
2. Stir in the nuts.
3. Spread frosting on top of each cake layer.
4. Stack the cakes on a serving plate and serve.