I ate several of these tasty mushroom appetizers at a recent neighborhood happy hour. I am not a mushroom fan, but these were absolutely delicious!
3 Italian hot sausages, casings removed
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1 large egg yolk
24 large (about 2-inch-diameter) mushrooms, stemmed
1/3 cup dry white wine
PREPARATION (preheat oven to 350°F )
- Saute sausage and oregano in heavy large skillet over medium - high heat until sausage is cooked through and brown, breaking into small pieces with back of fork. (about 7 minutes)
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage mixture to large bowl and cool.
- Mix in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and then cream cheese.
- Season filling with salt and pepper before mixing in egg yolk.
- Brush 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish with olive oil to coat.
- Brush cavity of each mushroom cap with white wine.
- Fill each mushroom cap with scant 1 tablespoon filling and sprinkle with some of remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange mushrooms, filling side up, in prepared dish.
- Bake uncovered until mushrooms are tender and filing is brown on top; about 25 minutes.
Yield: 24 appetizers