SPECIALIZING IN UNIQUE GIFTS FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

BREASTS OR NO BREASTS

Whenever I thought about a plastic surgeon, my wish list would revolving around having my facial skin rejuvenated and/or my eyelids done. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would involve my breasts! Then along came breast cancer and the decision to have a double mastectomy. Now the question was whether or not to have breast reconstruction.
This was one decision I had mixed feelings about. My husband was supportive with whatever decision I chose. His thoughts were, he didn't marry my breasts, he married me. He just wanted the cancer gone. My daughter had contacts with patients who could provide personal experiences with this decision. I decided to have the breast reconstruction. Looking back, it was the right decision for me. No regrets.

You would have thought once making the decision about reconstruction, I would be ready to go. No, there are lots of different ways to do breast reconstruction. Here is a link to an overview about the various options and techniques.

2 comments:

  1. Some women choose not to have reconstruction, but most opt for the sugary. It made them feel whole again and normal.
    It is so good of you to share this experience with others, many of which may be going through the same mind wracking decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    Once I let people know that I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was overwhelmed by the support. It made a lot of difference in my recovery. My surgeon told me the surgery was only 10% and my attitude would be 90% of the journey.

    ReplyDelete