SPECIALIZING IN UNIQUE GIFTS FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN

Monday, April 7, 2014

SECOND-LOOK ULTRASOUND

(This is an ultrasound image of a person with breast cancer.)

On Thursday, May 9th Dr. Brian performed the second-look ultrasound on the left breast as requested in the MRI results.  At this time the course of action changed from a lumpectomy to a mastectomy. I was concerned about the right breast eventually becoming cancerous too, so she performed an ultrasound on it. After much discussion, it was decided it would be in my best interest to have a double mastectomy with reconstructive surgery. Dr. Brian scheduled me a consult with her plastic reconstruction surgeon, Dr. Heistein, for Monday, May 13th. In the meantime, with my daughter's urging, I scheduled a second opinion with Dr. Sally Knox in Dallas on Wednesday, May 15th.

I felt confident this was the correct course of action for my diagnosis and had no hesitation to have a double mastectomy. My breasts or my life? Not a hard decision when it meant the difference between life or death. I was only 62 years old and I was not ready for death to be knocking at my door. I wanted many more years with my family and precious grandchildren.

I woke up Saturday morning thinking of all the things I needed to get done "before surgery." It was a bit daunting thinking my life was solely revolving around this breast cancer. In prep for my appointment with the plastic surgeon on Monday, I checked the internet for information about double mastectomies with breast reconstruction. By the end of the weekend I had my mind "wrapped around" my decision.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such an honest and well written post. So many women's lives are touched by this disease and though progress on finding a cure has been slow there have been a number of break throughs.

    ReplyDelete