SPECIALIZING IN UNIQUE GIFTS FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN

Friday, April 18, 2014

GENETIC TESTING

On Tuesday, June 25th, I had a genetic counseling session with Laura Panos at Baylor Sammons Cancer Center. She reviewed my family's medical history and designed a genetic "combo" test specifically for me. I have a daughter and three granddaughters. I needed to know if I carried any of the known genes associated with an increased risk to develop cancer. If yes, what was the probability of me passing the gene on to them. Yet another worry.

Genetic testing was done on these genes: BRCA1, BRCA2 (hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome), STK11 (Peutz-Jeghers syndrome), PTEN (Cowden syndrome), TP53 (Li-Fraumeni syndrome), and CDH1 (hereditary diffuse gastric cancer syndrome). Blood was drawn and we should hear the results within 21 days. Another wait and see game!

I found the Oncotype DX genetic testing and this genetic counseling/DNA testing fascinating. I am a retired biology teacher and performed DNA testing in the classroom and as a research assistant.

Laura called on Monday, July 22 to report all genetic tests were negative and showed no mutation for cancer! A big sigh of relief! At this time, no recommendations for removal of my ovaries or uterus. My daughter who is 35 will need to start having mammograms, since she is considered a "first degree" relative.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the good news regarding your genetic tests was of great relief to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was. My daughter and granddaughters will have to start their mammograms earlier in life since I had breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete