SPECIALIZING IN UNIQUE GIFTS FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN

Friday, April 4, 2014

BREAST MRI


My breast MRI was scheduled for the morning of Friday, May 3rd. I had an MRI in 2010 when I had a mild TIA, so I knew enough about the procedure to dread the loud noise and claustrophobic feeling. I searched the internet and found a video to help familiarize myself with what to expect with a breast MRI. I am a bit of a control freak - okay, I am a full fledged control freak! I hate the "unknown". My husband was out of town on a business trip, so my daughter went with me. (My daughter is an occupational therapist and works at a large trauma hospital.) She plays a major part in my breast cancer journey.

The breast MRI was easier than I expected; noisy but not as confining. The technicians were very helpful and supportive. I had some anxiety about an adverse reaction to the contrast dye, but they assured me of its safety. They mentioned a few patients get a metallic taste in their mouth. I am so glad they told me, because I did and almost freaked out!

Another waiting period. I should get the results of the MRI on Monday.

 **************************************************
MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging
MRI scans use magnets and radio waves instead of x-rays to produce very detailed, cross-sectional images of the body. During a breast MRI you may have a contrast material injected into a catheter in a vein (IV) before or during the exam. This improves the ability of the MRI to clearly show breast tissue details.

This first video link is for a general MRI:  
"What Is Getting an MRI Like" Video

This second video link is for a breast MRI:
Breast MRI Video



No comments:

Post a Comment